from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Music The downward stroke made by a conductor to indicate the first beat of a measure.
- n. Music The first beat of a measure.
- n. Informal A period of stagnation or inactivity.
- adj. Cheerless; pessimistic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The accented beat at the beginning of a bar (indicated by a conductor with a downward stroke)
- adj. sad or pessimistic
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the first beat of a musical measure (as the conductor's arm moves downward).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the first beat of a musical measure (as the conductor's arm moves downward)
down- + beat (Wiktionary)