American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A contest between antagonists; a match: a wrestling bout.
- n. A period of time spent in a particular way; a spell: "His tremendous bouts of drinking had wrecked his health” ( Thomas Wolfe).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A turn, loop, coil, or knot, as in a rope or chain; a bend or flexure.
- n. The part of a sling that contains the stone.
- n. A going and returning, as in plowing, reaping, etc.; hence, as much of an action as is performed at one time; a single part of an action which is carried on at successive intervals.
- n. A round at anything, as in some contest; a set-to; a trial: as, a bout at single-stick or fisticuffs.
- n. A round of indulgence, as in drink: as, a drunken bout.
- n. A turn or fit of illness: as, a severe bout of rheumatism.
- n. In music, an inward curve of a rib of an instrument of the violin kind, by which the waist is formed.
- Same as but.
- n. A period of something, usually painful or unpleasant
- n. boxing A boxing match.
- n. fencing An assault (a fencing encounter) at which the score is kept.
- n. A fighting competition.
- n. music A bulge or widening in a musical instrument, such as either of the two characteristic bulges of a guitar.
- n. dated The going and returning of a plough, or other implement used to mark the ground and create a headland, across a field.
- prep. colloquial about
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. As much of an action as is performed at one time; a going and returning, as of workmen in reaping, mowing, etc.; a turn; a round.
- n. A conflict; contest; attempt; trial; a set-to at anything.
- n. an occasion for excessive eating or drinking
- n. a contest or fight (especially between boxers or wrestlers)
- n. (sports) a division during which one team is on the offensive
- n. a period of illness
- Written form of a reduction of "about". (Wiktionary)
- From obsolete English bought, a turning (influenced by about), from Middle English, from bowen, to bend, turn; see bow2. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Here come old Gobry he come writin 'bout Sully he come writin bout Althouse”
“August 20, 2008 at 2:43 pm hey donkeeee, chickie………… herz tawkin bout wair we meeted fur lunch…. across frum Chilis on Truxel…….*ai no nuffin bout sacymentoes, but i noes wair herz tawkin bout*”
“Omo babe, u chop winch...abi u don go kolomental? u get liver o...which one u just go yawa d babe like dat sef, ehn? u 4 let am enjoy her moment wit her man and then lata yarn 'bout how u feel & gist am bout self confidence and relationships. e be like say u like trouble sha!”
“I don't know nothin' 'bout any energy drinks, but this Something Awful post makes me almost want to try one for a bout of perverse hilarity.”
“Dere was just one thing 'bout Catherine dat I's dubious 'bout.”
“Massa Randall had told her not to go nowhe 'bout dat boat, but some people is sorta high strung like en dey go off anyhow no matter bout de whip.”
“Some heard bout freedom and went home tellin 'bout it.”
“God is a great good spirit dat knows all 'bout what you want, an 'what you're thinkin' 'bout.”
“Nobody went 'bout half naked on our plantation lak some of de old folks f'um other farms talks 'bout.”
“In talkin 'wid old mistress,' fusion would come 'bout which John of de grandsons was bein 'meant and talked' bout.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bout’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
words for fighting
( open list, randomness )
random gangster lingo and street slang with extra absurdities.
( open list, randomness )
This is just a list, right, that I'm gonna, like, fill with words, that, like, are every word that I can, like, think of with, ahhmm, my brain.
Interesting, there is a traditional vocabulary of an Ukrainian, that differs from vocabulary of average American. It would be nice to explore it.
Words that make other words with the addition of one letter at the beginning. The resulting words are tagged "behead".
With focus on non-classical styles, but not excluding terms of the latter.
The liner notes that accompany Papa San's dancehall album God & i include this thoughtful list of Jamaican-to-American translations, to aid in understanding what the heck he's saying in each song.
A list of words that I stumbled upon while reading.
mostly from magoosh
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
"I and I plant the corn..."
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Looking for tweets for bout.