from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The skill, practice, and sport of fighting with the fists; boxing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. fighting with fists, boxing
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The practice of boxing, or fighting with the fist.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art or practice of boxing or fighting with the fists.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fighting with the fists
From Latin pugil, pugilist.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
1791, from Latin pugil ("fist") + -ism, related to pugnus ("fist"), from Proto-Indo-European roots. Compare contemporary pugilist ("boxer") (1790). (Wiktionary)