American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An action calculated to frustrate an opponent or gain an advantage indirectly or deviously; a maneuver: "A typical ploy is to feign illness, procure medicine, then sell it on the black market” ( Jill Smolowe).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Employment.
- n. A harmless frolic; a merrymaking.
- Milit., to move from line into column: the opposite of deploy.
- n. A tactic, strategy, or gimmick.
- v. military To form a column from a line of troops on some designated subdivision.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Prov. Eng. & Scot. Sport; frolic.
- v. (Mil.) To form a column from a line of troops on some designated subdivision; -- the opposite of
- n. a maneuver in a game or conversation
- n. an opening remark intended to secure an advantage for the speaker
- Probably abbreviated from deploy. (Wiktionary)
- Perhaps from employ, employment (obsolete). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Some of the candidates running against incumbent PDP governors also say they're not allowed to place adverts and programs on state media, which they call a ploy to deny them access to the public.”
“Then it dawned on me; this ploy is the latest twist on the old Nigerian email scam.”
“Using strategies as a political ploy is one thing, but the ONLY reason that they are turning on Crist is he took the stimulus money to help the citizens of Florida!”
“The "fire at St. Louis destroyed my records," ploy is not valid, either.”
“The "I can't compromise classified information," ploy is phony.”
“The "I had my records expunged" - or "I had my name taken off the list" ploy is just as phony.”
“The, 'I can't compromise classified information,' ploy is phony," he said.”
“It was a long time ago, ploy is weak and unacceptable.”
“The biggest flaw with the cycletrack idea, besides it probably being a ploy, is that there are too many intersections on their suggested route.”
“More than likely a ploy from the vast left-wing conspiracy to spread misinfromation to the masses.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ploy’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words and collocations associated with political scandal
Off the straight and narrow; less than straight arrow.
What Abt these ... :)
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
All the words which I encounter during my GRE studies. :)
short, sweet, epic, catchy, sassy, sexy & sizzling.
( personal list, randomness )
Words Baldrick might have used instead.
Looking for tweets for ploy.