from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To receive pleasure or satisfaction from.
- transitive v. To have the use or benefit of: enjoys good health.
- intransitive v. To have a pleasurable or satisfactory time.
- enjoy oneself To have a pleasurable or satisfactory time.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To receive pleasure or satisfaction from something
- v. To have the use or benefit of something
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To take satisfaction; to live in happiness.
- transitive v. To take pleasure or satisfaction in the possession or experience of; to feel or perceive with pleasure; to be delighted with
- transitive v. To have, possess, and use with satisfaction; to occupy or have the benefit of, as a good or profitable thing, or as something desirable.
- transitive v. To have sexual intercourse with.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To feel or perceive with joy or pleasure; take pleasure or satisfaction in the possession or experience of: as, to enjoy the dainties of a feast, the conversation of friends, or our own meditations; to enjoy foreign travel.
- To have, possess, and use with satisfaction; have, hold, or occupy, as a good or profitable thing, or as something desirable: as, he enjoys a large fortune, or an honorable office.
- To derive pleasure from association with or observation of; take delight in being with or in: as, to enjoy one's friends; I enjoyed Paris more than London; to enjoy the country.
- Specifically To have sexual intercourse with.
- To have or possess, as something good or desirable, in a general sense: as, he enjoys the esteem of the community; the paper enjoys a wide circulation.
- To live in happiness; take pleasure or satisfaction.
- n. Enjoyment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. have benefit from
- v. take delight in
- v. get pleasure from
- v. derive or receive pleasure from; get enjoyment from; take pleasure in
- v. have for one's benefit
Congratulations to all the winners … enjoy ~enjoy ~ enjoy: ~)
SO OFTEN, SADLY, WE do not associate the word enjoy with God.
The word "enjoy" is important because anyone can take on extra jobs and then rush through their housework and make it look like they are coping.
And Bob and uh others … I was pointing a usage of the word enjoy in a specific way … made possible by todays culture of "enjoy" that is distinctly different from the way the Westminster catechesim uses the word.
But one thing that conservatives do enjoy is praising those who wish to execute gays.
The world's wild places were for me to enjoy from the comfort of my own home, nothing more.
If in life, a situation in a place, which I enjoy, is being negatively impacted and disrupting a sense of decorum or well being for me, work at trying to change it to restore a place of contentment.
June 19th, 2010 at 9: 22 pm you know … i loved her movies, they were just. .sit & relax and in enjoy a cute chick flick. i hope shes just kidding. and i love her tweets. .there so random but they get a good laugh from me.
Although it might not make for as much war porn for you to enjoy from a safe 10,000 miles away, what you call “fighting with one arm tied behind its back,” and what the rest of the world calls “adhering to the laws and customs of war” is better for the well-being of Israel.
Reading subjects you enjoy is also great. .there are so many wonderful French publications o gardening, lifestyle, art. nature ect ..
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.