from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To put to use, especially to find a profitable or practical use for. See Synonyms at use.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Alternative spelling of utilise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make useful; to turn to profitable account or use; to make use of.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To turn to profitable account or use; make useful; make use of: as, to utilize a stream for driving machinery. Also spelled utilise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose
- v. convert (from an investment trust to a unit trust)
French utiliser, from Italian utilizzare, from utile, useful, from Latin ūtilis, from ūtī, to use.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)