American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To put to use, especially to find a profitable or practical use for. See Synonyms at use.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To turn to profitable account or use; make useful; make use of: as, to utilize a stream for driving machinery. Also spelled utilise.
- v. American alternative spelling of utilise.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To make useful; to turn to profitable account or use; to make use of.
- v. put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose
- v. convert (from an investment trust to a unit trust)
- French utiliser, from Italian utilizzare, from utile, useful, from Latin ūtilis, from ūtī, to use. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“If you think the word "utilize" is a smarter version of "use," read "The Most Annoying Business Jargon" at forbes.com.”
“The release we utilize is a standard filming release that all production companies must have signed by everyone they film - or the television broadcaster will refuse to air our material.”
“Not only because a number of the flavors and aromas are not shared between cultures, but also because many of the actual names of fruits and other foodstuffs in Japanese utilize somewhat obscure Kanjii characters, and are better rendered using more modern Hiragana characters.”
“• to utilize: is there any reason in the world not to utilize “use” instead?”
“One thing you mentioned that I don’t think marketers fully utilize is the online research for offline sales.”
“Wired. com points to games as a motivating factor for the move, as many titles utilize non-Apple code.”
“Both titles utilize the Wii Balance Board and can schedule players 'fitness regimes.”
“Does Fallout 3 utilize a karma system without a separate reputation system?”
“We felt like this would be the perfect time to kind of utilize that power, so we sat in the driver's seat, and let everyone who was interested come to us.”
“Not only that, they provided a friendly link that you can utilize which is rarely given in most mainstream outlets.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘utilize’.
Use these and get promoted
Words and phrases George Orwell criticizes in his essay 'Politics and the English Language'.
ring the changes on, take up the cudge..., toe the line, ride roughshod over, stand shoulder to..., play into the han..., no axe to grind, grist to the mill, fishing in troubl..., on the order of t..., Achilles’ heel, swan song and 162 more...
The vocabulary of scientific paper submission
Don't get me wrong: I like my job. I like everyone I work with too, but not all of them are word lovers, and many of them abuse the language in ways that hurt me. I'm stashing them here so that p...
What word really gets under your skin, drives you crazy, nuts or simply makes you see red?
Words that, for various reasons, I wish we could do without.
verbs Adj Adv noun
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for utilize.