American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. Third person singular present indicative of be.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- The third person singular present indicative of the verb be. See be. The form is was formerly, and is still dialectally, used for all persons of the singular, and in negro speech also for all persons of the plural. Such use in Chaucer, as in modern authors, is in imitation of dialect speech.
- An obsolete form of -es.
- An obsolete form of -es.
- A northern, and especially Scottish, form of -ish, as in Scottis (contracted Scots) for Scottish, Inglis for Inglish (English), etc.
- An abbreviation of island.
- v. Third-person singular simple present indicative form of be.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. The third person singular of the substantive verb
be, in the indicative mood, present tense. See be.
- From Middle English, from Old English is, from Proto-Germanic *isti, a form of Proto-Germanic *wesanan (“to be”), from Proto-Indo-European *h₁ésti (“is”). Cognate with West Frisian is ("is"), Dutch is ("is"), German ist ("is"), Old Swedish is ("is"). The paradigm of "to be" has been since the time of Proto-Germanic a synthesis of four originally distinct verb stems. The infinitive form "to be" is from *bʰuH- (“to become”). The forms is and am are derived from *h₁es- (“to be”) whereas the form are comes from *iranan (“to rise, be quick, become active”). Lastly, the past forms starting with "w-" such as was and were are from *h₂wes- (“to reside”). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old English; see es- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“We have remarked, that it is no mystery why the decision should have gone pretty uniformly in favour of the ancients; for here is the dilemma: -- A man, attempting this problem, _is_ or _is not_ a classical scholar.”
“This misses the point that, to a large extent, the west *is* much better at capitalism than the BRICs... the infrastructure we have by way of UK company law, or the big-4 accountants, or the magic circle law firms is simply much more developed, and offers better scrutiny and outcomes than anything else on offer; and we are rightly world leading in many of these areas.”
“One option, which is being used in some areas of the spill, is to burn the oil before it reaches shore.”
“• The PSCAI is intact and the ___________is very active in it.”
“We must hear the sound of a whistle blowing, � demanding that freedom is our right, that liberation is� our right.”
“But hey, this is soap opera, just like the books by Charlaine Harris on which� "True Blood" �is based.”
“Word on the street is that the New York Times (we won't name names, although we got 'em) is looking to identify NGD.”
“As you say though, and this *is* where the Millite liberal principle comes in – the job of our Home Office speaker most definitely is to stand up for that principle and there is nothing in what Chris said that suggests he is in any way opposing the idea of prohibition, despite his previous statements about tabloid editors and government advisers.”
“In this "internet" world, getting 1000 people to promise to buy a copy is not a big deal, but it *is* a problem to actually get them to buy it.”
“Hate is an emotion that means someone would like to see you come to harm….and so far, the people who call for the most harm to be inflicted on others'…..is coming from islamic groups and their "progressive" friends. wsam says:”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘is’.
Words to be replaced by a paragraph mark if you are after terms and MWEs.
All words of the poem
by Gerard Nolst Trenité
Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse <...
Imagine my joy when I was wearing my calculator watch and was first introduced to someone named Leslie - there was exactly enough room on the display for 317537.14.
Edit: I've discove...
See comments on pipsiculture and homosexuality, which have nothing to do with each other except that I read comments on them at around the same time on the same day.
See also the list ...
Okay, I admit it. I made a list of words my daughter knew when she was two years old.
Words that appear on the home page of Wordnik.
Verbs that establish or connect to the status (condition, state of being, the way something is) of someone or something.
Looking for tweets for is.