from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To make a hissing or bubbling sound; effervesce.
- n. A hissing or bubbling sound.
- n. Effervescence.
- n. An effervescent beverage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An emission of a rapid stream of bubbles.
- n. The sound of such an emission.
- n. A carbonated beverage.
- v. To emit bubbles.
- v. To make a rapid bubbling sound.
- v. To shoot or project something moving at great velocity.
- v. To travel at a great velocity, producing a sound caused by the speed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hissing sound.
- intransitive v. To make a hissing sound, such as that of a burning fuse or a bubbling carbonated beverage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To make a hissing or sputtering sound; fizzle.
- n. A hissing or sputtering sound.
- n. A light frothy liquid; specifically, in the United States, soda-water or other effervescent water; in England, champagne: so called from the hissing sound it makes when uncorked. Also fizzle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. become bubbly or frothy or foaming
- n. an effervescent beverage (usually alcoholic)
And very very low in fizz, which is fine with me but I suppose might bother some purists.
Sure it's got pacing like molasses, and some sequences would be better cut from the movie, but at its best it makes my brain fizz with speculation like no other.
Equally at home in café and bar environments or corporate breakout and communications areas fizz is available in a huge diversity of contemporary finishes which ensures its harmonisation with a plethora of interior design schemes.
Before the fizz is out of the wine drink to Robbie's good health and good luck to him, and to all our lads that have gone before.
It’s kind of like asking my maid for a martini and she brings me a gin fizz – I enjoy a gin fizz, it’s just not what I had my heart set on, you know?
“Portland Oregon and sloe gin fizz, if that ain’t love, tell me what is …”
A vaudeville with hors d’ouevres, a sloe gin fizz to a fast jazz beat, doilies but no undies - “The Wild Party” has it all.
The "Barr" champagne glass with a stylized head on the stem comes with a matching stirrer 1924—swizzling out the fizz was a jazzy fad in the roaring 1920s.
Some people have a vodka fizz, which is a lemony, sherberty, splendid drink.
One sits at the counter and orders another a pink sloe gin fizz.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.