from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To inhale a short, audible breath through the nose, as in smelling something.
- intransitive v. To sniffle.
- intransitive v. To use the sense of smell, as in savoring or investigating: sniffed at the jar to see what it held.
- intransitive v. To regard something in a contemptuous or dismissive manner: The critics sniffed at the adaptation of the novel to film.
- intransitive v. Informal To pry; snoop: The reporters came sniffing around for more details.
- transitive v. To inhale forcibly through the nose: sniffed the cool morning air.
- transitive v. To smell, as in savoring or investigating: sniffed the lilacs; sniffed the breeze for traces of smoke.
- transitive v. To perceive or detect by or as if by sniffing: dogs that sniffed out the trail through the snow; sniffed trouble ahead.
- transitive v. To utter in a contemptuous or haughty manner: The countess sniffed her disapproval.
- n. An instance or the sound of sniffing.
- n. Something sniffed or perceived by or as if by sniffing; a whiff: a sniff of perfume; a sniff of scandal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instance of sniffing.
- n. A quantity of something that is inhaled through the nose
- n. A brief perception
- v. To make a short, audible inhalation, through the nose, as if to smell something.
- v. To say something while sniffing, for example in case of illness or unhappiness
- v. To perceive vaguely
- v. To be dismissive or contemptuous of something.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of sniffing; perception by sniffing; that which is taken by sniffing.
- intransitive v. To draw air audibly up the nose; to snuff; -- sometimes done as a gesture of suspicion, offense, or contempt.
- transitive v. To draw in with the breath through the nose.
- transitive v. To perceive as by sniffing; to snuff, to scent; to smell.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To draw air through the nose in short audible inspirations, as an expression of scorn; snuff: often with at.
- To draw in with the breath through the nose; smell of with an audible inhalation; snuff: as, to sniff the fragrance of a clover-field.
- To perceive as by snuffing; smell; scent: as, to sniff danger.
- To draw the breath through (the nose) in an unpleasantly audible manner.
- n. The act of sniffing; a single short audible inspiration through the nose.
- n. Perception of smell obtained by inhaling audibly; that which is taken by sniffing: as, a sniff of fresh air.
- n. The sound produced by passing the breath through the nose with a quick effort; a short, quick snuffle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. inhale audibly through the nose
- n. sensing an odor by inhaling through the nose
- v. perceive by inhaling through the nose
Like me … * sniff sniff* … Maybe Santa will be nice to me …
Boo hoo hoo hoo * sniff sniff* LOL so where are you?
Except today, I had such a great time in peer tutoring, I helped this one kid, and like he didnt get what the teacher had been saying all week, and the helper teacher tried to help, and he still didnt get it, and then I showed him, and he was like thank you, I finally understand ... and * sniff sniff* it almost brought a tear to my eyes ... lol.
(Even though I dont know her that well, * sniff sniff*)
Some old lady or man talking about having group sex after a Rush concert in 1978, crying * sniff sniff* "Thats when i realized i hit rockbottom"
ElRubio 13 minutes ago (4: 12 PM) * sniff sniff* ... something really stinks here bluegrasspicker 13 minutes ago (4: 12 PM)
Thankful Thursday - End of an Era ... * sniff ... sniff*
Her promotion ceremony is next Friday. * sniff .. sniff* I'm sure I will share more about that next week.
Although I no longer have a baby in the house * sniff sniff* I was eager to check out the new book by Desmond Morris Amazing Baby.
And yes, I agree with you … the results were so NOT super. * sniff, sniff*
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.