from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fit of irritation.
- n. A petty quarrel.
- intransitive v. To quarrel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small argument; a petty quarrel.
- v. To quarrel.
- v. To deck out; to dress.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Liquor; especially, a small draught of liquor.
- n. A fit of anger or peevishness; a slight altercation or contention. See Tift.
- intransitive v. To be in a pet.
- transitive v. To deck out; to dress.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To dress; deck; array.
- To sip; drink.
- To lunch.
- To be in a pet; be peevish or quarrelsome.
- n. A local name for the calcite occurring with the zinc and lead deposits of Joplin, Missouri.
- n. Set; attitude.
- n. A draught of liquor; a “drop”: as, a tiff of brandy.
- n. Thin or small beer.
- n. A petty quarrel or misunderstanding; a slight pet, or fit of peevishness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a quarrel about petty points
The word tiff in connection with her tale had a peculiar savour, a paralysing effect.
She called the tiff between Steele and Rush Limbaugh a "Republican Horror Show."
"We won't reveal our weapon as of now, but Sonny Boy is ready to rumble," said Aljoe Jaro, whose other protege, North American Boxing Federation (NABF) super bantamweight champion Bernabe Concepcion (26-1, 15 KOs), will also fight Giovannie Caro (11-4, 9 KOs, 2 draws) on the same day in a 10-round non-title tiff in San Diego, California.
I mean, you know, we thought maybe they'd been involved in some kind of scuffle, maybe that kind of thing that some people would relatively refer to as a tiff or something.
On to the Hillary-Obama Iraq tiff, which is a lot of noise about nothing:
The tiff was the subject of a viewer call in poll and somthing like 70 percent of viewers who responded felt Betty was "spot on" on her comments to Marcel.
But if both had good reasons for putting the dispute behind them-the Governor because he was going to lose, the Mayor because he needs other favors from the Governor-the tiff was a sign of just how isolated Mr. Pataki has become.
A tiff was the result of the dispute between the two.
Jeff, that would maybe make me happiest of all. tiff, that is surely what it looked like.
The only mention of the 'tiff' I've heard before was when I was told on election night that Craig was working out how his majority was the largest of all -- and I was told that by Cllr Selwood ...
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.