from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A noisy quarrel or fight.
- n. A loud party.
- n. A loud, roaring noise.
- intransitive v. To quarrel or fight noisily.
- intransitive v. To flow noisily, as water.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fight, usually with a huge amount of people involved.
- v. To engage in a brawl; to fight or quarrel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A noisy quarrel; loud, angry contention; a wrangle; a tumult.
- intransitive v. To quarrel noisily and outrageously.
- intransitive v. To complain loudly; to scold.
- intransitive v. To make a loud confused noise, as the water of a rapid stream running over stones.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To speak loudly and complainingly or angrily; be clamorous or noisy; quarrel noisily and indecently.
- To roar, as water flowing over a pebbly or rocky bed; make a loud babbling noise.
- Synonyms To wrangle, squabble, dispute (noisily).
- To wrangle about; be noisy or contentious regarding.
- To drive away or beat down by noise.
- n. A kind of dance; a branle.
- n. See braul.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a noisy fight in a crowd
- n. an uproarious party
- v. to quarrel noisily, angrily or disruptively
The brawl is an extreme example, but both incidents brought shame upon the organizations (the Pacers, of course, had a number of other off-court problems).
A similar brawl is taking place in the Ninth, a sprawling pie-shaped district that radiates from Bloomington to the Ohio River.
The old "man of science" versus "man of faith" brawl is on yet again.
Throw in what Dorsey took as a snub by Rhodes, and the big fella was ready to brawl from the opening tip.
Was seen stomping opponents in brawl with Florida International.
Me suggesting a brawl is meerly suggesting that some people need to have some sense knocked into them.
USATODAY. com - Pistons, Pacers say brawl is old news, let's move on
Pistons, Pacers say brawl is old news, let's move on
One UNH student stabbed, another bludgeoned in brawl DURHAM - Two male University of New Hampshire students were injured when what police are calling a "brawl" erupted early Saturday morning.
23 Bransle, in English, brawl — a species of dance.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.