from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An evening party or reception.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a formal evening party
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An evening party; -- distinguished from levee, and matinée.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An evening party or reunion: as, a musical soirée.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a party of people assembled in the evening (usually at a private house)
French soirée, from Old French seree, from seir, evening, from Latin sērō, at a late hour, from sērus, late.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
from French soirée ("evening activity") (Wiktionary)