from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- abbreviation hectare
- abbreviation Latin hoc anno (this year)
- abbreviation hour angle
- interjection Used to express surprise, wonder, triumph, puzzlement, or pique.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun An expression of wonder, surprise, or admiration.
- noun An expression of hesitancy in speech.
- A dialectal variant of
- An exclamation denoting surprise, wonder, joy, or other sudden emotion, as suspicion, and also interrogation. Repeated, ha! ha! it expresses either intensified surprise, etc., or laughter.
- An involuntary sound marking hesitation in speech, uttered slowly and obscurely, and otherwise represented by er or ur.
- noun A contraction of have.
- noun Same as
- An abbreviation of
- To make the sound ha, expressing hesitation.
- noun A Scotch form of
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- interjection An exclamation denoting surprise, joy, or grief. Both as uttered and as written, it expresses a great variety of emotions, determined by the tone or the context. When repeated,
ha, ha, it is an expression of laughter, satisfaction, or triumph, sometimes of derisive laughter; or sometimes it is equivalent to “Well, it is so.”
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb archaic Alternate spelling of a4
- interjection A representation of
- interjection An exclamation of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun (astronomy) the angular distance of a celestial point measured westward along the celestial equator from the zenith crossing; the right ascension for an observer at a particular location and time of day
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word ha.
But it was, well, what it was, so I just kept my face buried in my plate, with an occasional soft *ha ha ha* for the Captain.
Give Leftovers to the Single Girl - Dragon Chinese Restaurant
Hed be what I call useful just now, Mrs.C. ha, ha!
I believe "ha, _ha_," by the way, is an ejaculation confined entirely to thwarted villains in stageland; but if I am a villain, I'm not thwarted yet.
At this point the squire was laughing so noisily that Sophia had to stop; and his hearty _ha, ha, ha_! was so contagious, that Harry and
Deelite: 'I couldn't dance with another, * ah ha, ah ha*
Not only has he blamed the Bush administration for every single failure of his own policies and implementation of these policies (stimulus, TARP, inept political appointments, climate change * ha ha*) ..... he has also been unable to accept his own culpability in these democrats losing their elections.
Raising commercial activities (100-5,000 ha, increasing) 2008: 35,200 ha* 2015: 134,000 ha**
Costa Rica: Number of projects identified: 2 2008: 10 ha* 2015: 40,000 ha** Number of projects identified: 1 Peru: 2008: 320 ha* 2015: 77,000 ha** Number of projects identified: 8 Strong commercial activities Brazil: (> 5,000 ha, increasing) 2008: 15,800 ha* 2015: 1,3 million ha** Raising commercial activities Number of projects (100-5,000 ha, increasing) identified: 9
* so I guess that means it isn't the end of story … ha ha*
I don’t think so McCain’s wife make more than a small country..ha! ha!
Popchik commented on the word ha
March 20, 2012
ruzuzu commented on the word ha
"An exclamation denoting surprise, joy, or grief. Both as uttered and as written, it expresses a great variety of emotions, determined by the tone or the context. When repeated, ha, ha, it is an expression of laughter, satisfaction, or triumph, sometimes of derisive laughter; or sometimes it is equivalent to “Well, it is so.”
-- from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
May 28, 2014