from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The letter j.
- n. Any of various often crested birds of the genera Garrulus, Cyanocitta, Aphelocoma, and related genera within the family Corvidae, often having a loud, harsh call. Also called jaybird.
- n. An overly talkative person; a chatterbox.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any one of the numerous species of birds belonging to several genera within the family Corvidae, including Garrulus, Cyanocitta, allied to the crows, but smaller, more graceful in form, often handsomely colored, usually having a crest, and often noisy.
- n. Other birds of similar appearance and behavior.
- n. A dull or ignorant person. It survives today in the term jaywalking.
- n. A marijuana cigarette; a joint.
- n. The name of the Latin script letter J/j.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of the numerous species of birds belonging to Garrulus, Cyanocitta, and allied genera of the family Corvidae. They are allied to the crows, but are smaller, more graceful in form, often handsomely colored, and usually have a crest.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name of the letter j. It is rarely written out, the symbol j being used instead.
- n. Any bird of the subfamily Garrulinæ; specifically, Garrulus glandarius, a common European bird, about 13 inches long, of a gray color tinged with reddish, varied with black, white, and blue, and having the head crested.
- n. A loud, flashy woman.
- n. In actors' slang, an amateur or a poor actor.
- n. A general term of contempt applied to a stupid person: as, an audience at jays.
- n. In angling, a variety of artificial fly dressed with blue jay feathers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States diplomat and jurist who negotiated peace treaties with Britain and served as the first chief justice of the United States Supreme Court (1745-1829)
- n. crested largely blue bird
N again jay is not hittin her because she a strong blak women that can have any man why be with an abusive one and besides her father wouldnt have it
Actually, the bikies were wedding guests, but a jay is a jay apparently.
If another jay is around, each becomes much less discriminating and just grabs and dashes.
That last picture makes me very uncomfortable … like her v-jay is going to devour us all, ala American G-ds – yowza! jus Says:
Yes | No | Report from jbird wrote 37 weeks 4 days ago jay is right.
My poor va-jay-jay is wincing in agony for yours. on April 17, 2008 at 8: 32 am | Reply Deutlich
The tufted jay is one of the harder birds to find in its native habitat in Mexico, but one truly worth the effort that is required.
They were the ones who if you bought a button would relate how this button was from the uniform of a Confederate soldier who had scratched the name jay on the back.
I'm what they call a jay in Harvard, and Harvard don't count if you're a jay. "
a squirrel and a blue jay is a thing not to be missed!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.