American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. Away from the correct path or direction. See Synonyms at amiss.
- adv. Away from the right or good, as in thought or behavior; straying to or into wrong or evil ways.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To go out of the right way; go astray; stray.
- Out of the right way or proper place, either literally or figuratively; wandering.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. Out of the right, either in a literal or in a figurative sense; wandering.
- adv. far from the intended target
- adv. away from the right path or direction
- From Middle English astraien or by apheresis straien, from Old French estraier ("to stray"), from late Medieval Latin of extravagari ("to wander beyond"), from Latin extra ("beyond") + vagari ("to wander, stray"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French estraie, past participle of estraier, to stray; see stray. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Now that Providence had seen fit to cast him ashore, if he was to be permitted to continue his flight alone, he would go straight for his goal, the Swiss border, and not be led astray (that is what he called it, _led astray_) by any other enterprise.”
“If you want to go astray from the topic, feel free to start your own blog, or get Prof. Volokh to make you a guest blogger on this one, and start a new thread.”
“Where readers often go astray is that they fail to realize that the men who enacted the U.S.”
“Where I think Bryan goes astray is in making it seem as though the solution is to increase the power of elites.”
“In music such tunes which go astray is in reality a beauty sensed but not captured by the composition.”
“I am sure that inclusion of political thought considered by the government as astray is next.”
“You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery.”
“How it will lead our children astray from the Lord and make them hate God, Jesus, Mom, Dad, and Santa Clause.”
“Some have been led astray from the faith in their greed, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows.”
“So let us all muslims and non-muslims turn towards the only One Allah, otherwise many so called, “I-KNOW-EVERYTHING”, wise cracks will just talk, talk, talk, and take us astray from the right path.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘astray’.
No definite conception of these words.
Mistakes, Errors and Accidents.
portend... omen.../whats to come
What Abt these ... :)
because wordsmith is not a verb.
Magoosh GRE list
List of confusing words for GRE
This is a list of words that are to be needed for GRE
Looking for tweets for astray.