American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Deeply agitated, as from emotional conflict.
- adj. Mad; insane.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Drawn apart; separated.
- Distracted; bewildered; perplexed; being in or manifesting a state of distraction.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. deeply agitated especially from emotion
- From Middle English, merger of distract ("distracted") and straught ("distraught"), past participle of strecchen ("to stretch"). Compare also bestraught, extraught, forstraught, etc. More at distract, stretch. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, alteration of distract, past participle of distracten, to distract; see distract. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“(CROSSTALK) GERAGOS: She sounded exactly as distraught, which is either goes to her innocence or goes to the fact that you really can't rely on that kind of evidence.”
“She was staring at me, and her expression was distraught.”
“Do you recall the distraught lady in _Ruddigore_, who was always charmed into silence by the mystic word "Basingstoke"?”
“She is a leedle vat you would call distraught, not mat, but ankrished.”
“A harrowing 999 call the distraught mother made after finding the children 'stone cold' the next morning was played to the jury.”
“It was the final call the distraught father received from the captors.”
“The man was described as distraught when he called police at 1: 48 p.m. and made the threatening statement, Schlect said.”
“Hatton 'distraught' after newspaper allegationsLONDON - A spokesman for Ricky Hatton says the boxer is "distraught" after a newspaper published a photo that it says shows him snorting cocaine.”
“Irena later recalled the distraught parents asking.”
“Neeson was described as distraught and shocked as he greeted loved ones at the private viewing.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘distraught’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Interesting, there is a traditional vocabulary of an Ukrainian, that differs from vocabulary of average American. It would be nice to explore it.
My big word list.
verbs Adj Adv noun
the list of vocabularies from 1100 words you need to know Barron's.
Looking for tweets for distraught.