American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A dessert made of cream, eggs, sugar, and flavoring frozen together and served in a tall glass.
- n. A dessert made of several layers of different flavors of ice cream or ices, variously garnished and served in a tall glass.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Perfect: used in names of preparations of frozen cream: as café parfait, vanilla parfait, which are frozen without being stirred.
- n. Short for French parfait (parfait glacé), an iced dessert made with egg yolks, sugar, cream, and flavouring (usually fruit), sometimes with the addition of a liqueur.
- n. Short for American parfait, a layered dessert often consisting of fruit, ice cream, pastries, whipped topping, etc. and served in a glass, often a parfait glass.
- n. layers of ice cream and syrup and whipped cream
- From French parfait ("perfect") (Wiktionary)
- French, from Old French, perfect, from Latin perfectus; see perfect. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The interesting thing about this parfait is the brulee topping.”
“This simple yogurt parfait is one that I come back to again and again.”
“I like the idea of parfait glass..well u dont feel like having breakfast...”
“But these are great -- and, McDonald's also has a fruit and yogurt parfait, which is fabulous.”
“A parfait is a dessert made from frozen whipped cream, sweetened and flavored.”
“I tasted the foie gras parfait, which is delicious but when you try it every day it gets to be a little much.”
“There's something lovely about an even-tempered terrine and a chicken liver mousse (or, God help us, 'parfait') will always be a welcome addition to the starters section, but lets act before it's too late, to rescue the pâté our parents found so exotic.”
“According to a new report by geologists using instruments on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter to look at the "parfait" of layers inside Gale Crater, the layers show that Mars was likely wet at one point, but gradually dried over time.”
“Gabriel Martinez triumphs in the role of loner William Barfée (his name rhymes with "parfait") who is gifted with a "magic foot" which helps him spell.”
“William Barfée (rhymes with "parfait") (Gabriel Martinez) has one working nostril and a magic foot that helps him with his spelling.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘parfait’.
Words taken from Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.
I've no idea where I got this page full of words, but whatever it is, I want to find it again. May have duplicate words from other lists.
For more flower fun, see these lists:
Rose words by mollusque
Rose varieties by mollusque
Tulip Names I
Tulip Names II: You Know My Name
A Myriad of Irii
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
What did i *just* say?
A breaded foray of words
Looking for tweets for parfait.