American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A collection of papers giving detailed information about a particular person or subject.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bundle of writings or documents relating to some one matter or subject, inclosed in a wrapper and briefed on the back; the ‘papers in the case.’
- n. A collection of papers and/or other sources, containing detailed information about a particular person or subject, together with a synopsis of their content.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A bundle containing the papers in reference to some matter.
- n. a collection of papers containing detailed information about a particular person or subject (usually a person's record)
- Borrowing from French dossier (Wiktionary)
- French, from Old French, bundle of papers labeled on the back, from dos, back, from Latin dorsum. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The Indian government has delivered to Islamabad what it calls a dossier of evidence from the Mumbai attacks.”
“He has reams of paper which he calls the dossier of the crime.”
“(Say what you will about Bill Clinton, but his dossier is prison-free.)”
“Note 4: John Holker to D. Trudaine, dated Rouen, 9 January 1762, in dossier concerning Morris and Joppe [Hope] AN F/12/1334A. back”
“Note 20: "Observations sur l'état actuel de la Manufacture des Gobelins," 1776, AN O/1/2048; "Certificat de vertu de la part de Nicolas Charles Homassel," 6 February 1785 in dossier, "Gobelins, misc.”
“The UK dossier is the least specific regarding the diversity of Iraqâ€ ™ s existing or potential arsenal; it states that Iraq has an unspecified useable chemical weapons capability, which has included recent production of chemical agents.”
“And, Ms. Janssen will present what's called the dossier, which is the written documentation supporting her case, the witness statements.”
“The FO press manager decides on his own initiative right out of the blue just to pass the time away, you understand to write a "dossier" - and Lo and Behold!”
“The rapporteur in JURI for the IP Observatory dossier is French Christian Democrat”
“One of the key proponents of more scrutiny of this dossier is (former Belgian Prime Minister) Guy Verhofstadt’s ALDE group.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dossier’.
Words are all I have to take your heart away
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Have I made this list before? Has someone else collected these words together? I can't remember, so I'm just going to start storing some things here.
Words as I learn them.
My words, generally
portend... omen.../whats to come
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Words and phrase from Scott Lynch's book, Red Seas Under Red Skies.
Looking for tweets for dossier.