American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Midway between two points or conditions: a halfway sign on the trail.
- adj. Reaching or including only half or a portion; partial: halfway measures.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In the middle; at half the distance.
- Midway; equidistant from the extremes.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. In the middle; at half the distance; imperfectly; partially.
- adj. Equally distant from the extremes; situated at an intermediate point; midway.
- adj. partial.
- adj. including only half or a portion; incomplete.
- adv. at half the distance; at the middle
- adj. including only half or a portion
- adj. equally distant from the extremes
- adj. at a point midway between two extremes
- From Middle English halfwey, from Old English healfweg ("half-way"), equivalent to half- + way. Cognate with Dutch halfweg ("halfway"). (Wiktionary)
“Eric leaned against the row of lockers beside hers wearing an expression halfway between a leering grin and a snarl.”
“Ian looked again, then turned toward Alice with an expression halfway between skepticism and bemusement.”
“We need a word halfway between friend and acquaintance.”
“The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers says it's reached what it describes as the halfway point in draining the floodwaters in New Orleans.”
“The Secondary Objective is to try and keep my body in halfway decent shape.”
“Most begin halfway or fully at “Hurray!” and slope off jaggedly to “Blah.””
“Definitely, but I still get that nose & ear pain halfway into a feature.”
“WHY I thought I could put a book of hers down halfway is entirely beyond me.”
“He owned the part of Scott Pilgrim so much that I literally forgot his name halfway through the film.”
“One can get halfway from the cover to the cartoon by simply emptying the man's word balloon.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘halfway’.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
some of all the ways - always -in every way
My big word list.
Very basic words for ESL students.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
by Rickie Lee Jones.
Downstairs at Danny's all-star joint
They got a jukebox that goes doyt-doyt
The vice is nice, he stays in the back all day
But when the nighttime...
Looking for tweets for halfway.