American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Being half one thing and half another: a half-and-half mixture of linseed oil and turpentine.
- adv. In equal portions.
- n. A mixture of two things in equal portions, especially a mixture of equal parts of milk and cream.
- n. Chiefly British A blend of malt liquors, especially porter and ale.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mixture of malt liquors; in England, especially, a mixture of porter and ale; in some parts of the United States, old and new ale mixed.
- adj. alternative spelling of half and half.
- adv. alternative spelling of half and half.
- n. alternative spelling of half and half.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A mixture of two malt liquors, esp. porter and ale, in about equal parts.
- adj. in equal parts
- adv. in equal parts
- n. half milk and half light cream; contains 10% to 18% butterfat
“The two were known as half-and-half of the cold-blooded Gamboas.”
“Often referred to as a moitié-moitié , or half-and-half, it mixes Gruyère and Vacherin cheeses not necessarily in a 50-50 proportion with white wine and garlic.”
“Nearly half-and-half, or more, if you consider that "Avatar" was one of the favorites.”
“Other than crema para batir, I haven't seen either heavy cream, light cream, or half-and-half in the supermarkets here in Mexico.”
“Coffee would come spiked with hemoglobin, not half-and-half.”
“There is nothing more frustrating than sitting down to a bowl of fruit while your significant other slathers butter on a slice of bacon and asks you to pass the half-and-half.”
“On the negative side of the scoreboard, freezing can cause curdling or separating in certain foods that are heavy on these ingredients: milk, half-and-half, cream, sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, buttermilk, yogurt, and sauces and fillings made with those ingredients; cheese sauces; custards; mayonnaise; and gravies thickened with flour.”
“It's easy, too – the secret being in the occasional stir that helps separate the grains, and the half-and-half mix of milk and cream.”
“If we can probable lay your hands upon a little tangible cornbread, make use of which about half-and-half.”
“For the pastry cream: Heat the whole milk and crÃ¨me fraiche or half-and-half, 6 tablespoons sugar, salt and vanilla bean powder in medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat until simmering, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘half-and-half’.
are a lot of these halfs half-thought-out?
Types of beer.
Looking for tweets for half-and-half.