from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A frozen dessert similar to a frappé, usually made from fruit juice and having a mushy consistency.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Frozen fruit juice, sometimes mixed with egg whites, used as dessert or between courses of a meal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of beverage; sherbet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Sherbet; also, water-ice of any kind; especially, a water-ice which is not very hard frozen, so that it remains semi-liquid; also, water-ice flavored with rum, kirschwasser, or the like, as distinguished from that made without spirit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ice containing no milk but having a mushy consistency; usually made from fruit juice
French, from Ottoman Turkish sherbet, sweet fruit drink; see sherbet.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French sorbet, from Middle French, from Old Italian sorbetto, from Turkish şerbet, from Arabic شربة ("drink"). (Wiktionary)