from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something that sweetens.
- n. Informal Something added as a further inducement or incentive.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a food additive that sweetens, especially an artificial substitute for sugar
- n. something added as an inducement or incentive; a kickback
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, sweetens; one who palliates; that which moderates acrimony.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which sweetens, in any sense.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something added to foods to make them taste sweeter
- n. anything that serves as an enticement
sweeten + -er (“agent suffix”) (Wiktionary)