Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or practice of enticing or of inducing or instigating by exciting hope or desire; allurement; attraction; especially, the act of alluring or inducing to evil: as, the enticements of evil companions.
- n. Means of enticing; inducement; incitement; anything that attracts by exciting desire or pleasing expectation.
- n. The state or condition of being enticed, seduced, or led astray. Synonyms Temptation, blandishment, inveiglement, coaxing.
- n. The act or practice of enticing, of alluring or tempting; as, the enticements of evil companions.
- n. That which entices, or incites to evil; means of allurement; an alluring object; as, an enticement to sin.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act or practice of alluring or tempting.
- n. That which entices, or incites to evil; means of allurement; alluring object.
- n. the act of influencing by exciting hope or desire
- n. qualities that attract by seeming to promise some kind of reward
- n. something that seduces or has the quality to seduce
“Recent Comcast enticement is $19.99/month (for 12 months) for “unlimited home phone and Comcast HD with DVR service.””
“An added enticement is that the Tourist Assistance Card includes ambulance service, prescription drugs, legal assistance (presumably for robberies), and reimbursement if your flights are delayed or, heaven forbid, canceled.”
“To imagine that the United States can stop China from pursuing its own economic ambitions through nagging, threats, or enticement is to fool ourselves.”
“Most of the time, the enticement was a cheaper rate, but sometime it was a promise to donate a certain amount per call to a church charity.”
“The majority of my tweets are pointers to other resources, so there is a headline-an enticement in other words-and a link to the resource.”
“We've seen evidence of this sort of voter 'enticement' by groups such as ACORN - where, in 2008, two ACORN workers in Milwaukee were accused of offering pre-paid gasoline cards or restaurant gift cards to people in exchange for registration.”
“I'm no real fan of MJ, and lots of evidence suggests he was a pretty sketchy parent, but to conflate that with child molestation by wrapping it up, as TR does, in the language of "enticement," "invitation," and "teenaged boys" is something I'd except to read -- and we will -- on the blogs of those who love to peddle in the politics of panic and pedophilia.”
“For Mademoiselle Giraud, who offered every kind of enticement, nothing could increase the aversion I had for her.”
“The income of chevaliers d'industrie is at first derived from those inexperienced persons whom they get in their clutches by means of every kind of enticement, in order to ruin them some day -- if they have any ` expectations 'or are likely to be rich; or in order to make accomplices of them if they have only aptitudes for the purpose.”
“To preserve that even state of condition throughout the pack which is so desirable, he must be well acquainted with the appetite of every hound; for some will feed with a voracity scarcely credible, and others will require every kind of enticement to induce them to feed.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘enticement’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words with the first three or more letters repeated at the end, unless all letters are repeated (for those, see Isograms of lengths six, eight and ten). Overlaps are okay (alfalfa, entente), but wo...
verbs Adj Adv noun
mostly from magoosh
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Looking for tweets for enticement.