from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A special donation; a gift.
- adj. Characterized by, constituting, or subject to donation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or being a donation
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A gift; a largess; a gratuity; a present.
- n. A benefice conferred on a person by the founder or patron, without either presentation or institution by the ordinary, or induction by his orders. See the Note under Benefice, n., 3.
- adj. Vested or vesting by donation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Vested or vesting by donation: as, a donative advowson.
- n. A gift; a largess; a gratuity; a present; a dole.
- n. In canon law, a benefice given and collated to a person by the founder or patron without either presentation, institution, or induction by the ordinary.
Latin dōnātīvum, from neuter of dōnātīvus, of a donation, from dōnātus, past participle of dōnāre, to give; see donation.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)