from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An African vine (Citrullus lanatus) cultivated for its large edible fruit.
- n. The fruit of this plant, having a hard green rind and sweet watery pink or reddish flesh.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A plant of the species Citrullus lanatus, bearing a melon-like fruit.
- n. The fruit of the watermelon plant, having a green rind and watery flesh that is bright red when ripe and contains black pips.
- n. An environmentalist with socialist leanings (from the similarity to the fruit, being green on the outside, and red on the inside).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The very large ovoid or roundish fruit of a cucurbitaceous plant (Citrullus vulgaris) of many varieties; also, the plant itself. The fruit sometimes weighs many pounds; its pulp is usually pink in color, and full of a sweet watery juice. It is a native of tropical Africa, but is now cultivated in many countries. See Illust. of melon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant, Citrullus vulgaris (frequently named Cucumis Citrullus), or its fruit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large oblong or roundish melon with a hard green rind and sweet watery red or occasionally yellowish pulp
- n. an African melon
water + melon (Wiktionary)