from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- abbr. accusative
- abbr. Games ace
- abbr. across
- abbr. adenine
- abbr. alto
- abbr. ampere
- abbr. angstrom
- abbr. area
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The first letter of the basic modern Latin alphabet.
- n. Marks the first item in a list
- n. A hypothetical item or person designated first when there are more than one.
- n. The hexadecimal digit for 10
- n. Symbol for the company Agilent Technologies, Inc. on the NYSE.
- n. Symbol for the element Argon (Since 1956 has been changed to Ar).
- n. area
- abbr. ampere, a unit of electrical current.
- abbr. IUPAC 1-letter abbreviation for adenine in genetic code.
- abbr. IUPAC 1-letter abbreviation for alanine in proteins.
- abbr. Austria
- n. The first letter of the English alphabet, called a and written in the Latin script.
- n. The ordinal number first, derived from this letter of the English alphabet, called a and written in the Latin script.
- n. The highest rank on any of various scales that assign letters.
- n. The highest letter grade assigned (disregarding plusses and minuses).
- n. A blood type that has a specific antigen that aggravates the immune response in people with type B antigen in their blood. They may receive blood from type A or type O, but cannot receive blood from AB or B.
- n. Mass number.
- n. acoustic source
- n. actual weight of an aircraft
- n. adulterer, adulteress
- n. Alaska Steamship Company
- n. Alcoa Steamship Company
- n. allele dominant
- n. alveolar gas
- n. American Stock Exchange
- n. ammunition examiner
- n. Anchor Line
- n. aspect ratio
- n. Assembly Bill
- n. Smallest of the brassiere cup sizes.
- n. Chemical activity.
- n. first van der Waals constant
- n. Fraunhofer line for oxygen
- n. hail
- n. includes extras
- n. linear acceleration
- n. mean sound absorption coefficient
- n. Shoe size narrower than B
- n. Single A league, one of the lowest professional leagues.
- n. Total acidity.
- abbr. Ace
- abbr. Acre
- abbr. Adult; as used in film rating
- abbr. Ammeter
- abbr. angstrom
- abbr. Answer
- abbr. An assist
- abbr. atom; atomic
The standard ratings are looking a little dated now, with just about everything on the market qualifying for an A, so at Marks & Spencer you'll find things rated AA and AAA; elsewhere it'll come up as A+ and A+++, but it all means the same thing, the plus or extra A means it goes 10% more efficiently than an A by itself.
Promoted to Headline (H3) on 5/17/09: Bush-Obama: 'A rose by any other name 'yahooBuzzArticleHeadline =' Bush-Obama: \'A rose by any other name\ ''; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'Article: Who said, "A war criminal is a war ciminal is a war criminal?"'
The four highest ratings at insurance specialist A.M. Best Co. are A++, A+, A and A -.
A Quiet Excellence: an A+ yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'A Quiet Excellence: an A+ '; yahooBuzzArticleSummary =' Article: But there is an empty chair at the party.
P lowered Portuguese long - and short-term ratings by two notches to 'A -/A-2' from 'A+/A - 1' - outlook is negative.
(IDR) to 'BBB+' from 'A -', senior debt rating to 'BBB' from 'BBB+', and Insurer Financial Strength (IFS) rating of its primary insurance subsidiaries to 'A' from 'A+'.
(A-A″) 71B-Gal4/UAS-NkdGFP third-instar Drosophila salivary gland stained with α-Dsh and imaged for GFP (A) and Dsh (A′) distributions (merged image in A″).
After initially rejecting a confusing appliance energy rating scheme that involved grades of A+++, A++, A+ and A, Europe's Trialogue parties of the European Council, European Commission and European Parliament accepted the scheme which would see consumers confused and A grades going to relatively energy inefficient products.
The firm led the sale itself, and the bonds were rated A1 by Moody's Investors Service, A by Standard & Poor's and A+ by Fitch Ratings.
One achieved 10 A and A* grades at GCSE at a private school.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.