from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The symbol for the element iron.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. American Library Association abbreviation for forty-eighth, a book size (7.5-10 cm in height); a book of that height.
- n. Symbol for iron.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The chemical symbol of iron (Latin fer-rum).
- An abbreviation of Fellow of the Entomological Society;
- of Fellow of the Ethnological Society.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a heavy ductile magnetic metallic element; is silver-white in pure form but readily rusts; used in construction and tools and armament; plays a role in the transport of oxygen by the blood
From Latin ferrum, iron.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Abbreviation, from forty-eighth, corresponding to one forty-eighth of a standard uncut sheet of paper. (Wiktionary)
From Latin ferrum ("iron") (Wiktionary)