from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Moving or permitting movement in one direction only: a one-way street.
- adj. Providing for travel in one direction only: a one-way ticket.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. allowing movement in only one direction
- adj. allowing travel in only one direction
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Legally permitting movement or travel in one direction only; -- of paths, especially roads.
- adj. Pertaining to or valid for transportation in one direction between two points. Opposed to
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. moving or permitting movement in one direction only
See separate entries for one and way. First attested in 1906 in reference to one-way tickets; 1914 in reference to one-way streets; 1940 in reference to one-way mirrors (Wiktionary)