American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Existing or occurring between; intermediate.
- adj. Acting as a mediator or an agent between persons or things.
- n. One that acts as a mediator.
- n. One that acts as an agent between persons or things; a means.
- n. An intermediate state or stage.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Being or occurring between; having an intermediate position or action: as, an intermediary process.
- n. One who or that which interposes or is intermediate; an intermediate agent; a go-between.
- n. Same as nerve of Wrisberg (which see, under nerve).
- adj. Intermediate.
- n. An agent acting as a mediator between sides that may disagree.
- n. One or several stages of an event which occurs after the start and before the end.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Lying, coming, or done, between; intermediate.
- n. One who, or that which, is intermediate; an interagent; a go-between; a mediator.
- n. a negotiator who acts as a link between parties
“Felix observed that the key intermediary is who whoever bills and owns the namespace for the small retailer.”
“But we cannot actually share that power without an intermediary, and the intermediary is whoever owns the power grid.”
“We made arrangements to use her as in intermediary for any future business matters needed while we were out of town.”
“The identity of the intermediary is particularly interesting.”
“Instead of having to pay the full cost of products from manufacturers and then wait for a sale to receive cash Costco can benefit from being the short-term intermediary between the core manufacturer and end customer.”
“Another intermediary was a Macau-based "trading" firm called International Finance and Trade Joint Company, which was in fact a front for the Foreign Trade Bank, which was in turn a front for the North Korean government.”
“And it just dawned on me, ` Why not call the intermediary in my own adoption and ask her? ”
“He seemed even more delighted to see us, than we were to have an opportunity of learning something concerning the country from one speaking our own tongue so perfectly, for it is a little difficult to unravel intricate matters when the intermediary is a Swedish-speaking”
“Up to this moment nothing has been successfully invented to curb supreme power except what are called intermediary bodies or privileges.”
“The Abbe Molina affirms that the Cordilleras of Chile form three parallel chains, of which the intermediary is the most elevated; but to prove that this division is far from general, it suffices to recollect the barometric survey made by”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘intermediary’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
It's fun to find the politically incorrect equivalents. To see more (lesser common but still funny ones) check http://www.bored.com/pcphrases/
fellow Muslims, ageing population, gender mainstreaming, emerging democracies, mentally challeng..., intellectually di..., African American, native American, first nations, Caucasian, firefighter, police officer and 205 more...
List of most of the words I've learned
Looking for tweets for intermediary.