American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, in, near, or toward the middle.
- adj. Dentistry Situated toward the middle of the front of the jaw along the curve of the dental arch.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to the middle; being in the middle; in zoology, pertaining to or on the middle line or plane of the body; median. Also mesian
- adj. pertaining to the middle line of the body
- adj. dentistry Facing the side of a tooth which faces the middle of the jaw.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Anat.) Middle; median; in, or in the region of, the mesial plane; internal; -- opposed to
- adj. being in or directed toward the midline or mesial plane of the body
- Irregular derivation from Greek μέσος. (Wiktionary)
“Seven molars were also virtually sectioned through the mesial cusps and two-dimensional enamel thickness and dentine horn height measurements were recorded.”
“But others part of the brain, the insula, which has a role in the experience of pain, and the greater mesial prefrontal cortex became activated when the subjects contemplated selling one of their items.”
“I had mesial temporal sclerosis and lived more than 27 years of my life with seizures.”
“The crown has a sharp point on the distal, then a rounded side on the mesial.”
“His pale Galilean eyes were upon her mesial groove.”
“Extending for 9° on each side of the ecliptic is a zone or belt called the Zodiac, the mesial line of which is occupied by the Sun, and within this space the principal planets perform their annual revolutions.”
“This term is applied to an affection of the tarsus which is usually characterized by the existence of an exostosis on the mesial and inferior portion of the hock.”
“When, during locomotion, injury is inflicted upon the mesial side of an extremity by the swinging foot of the other member, the condition is termed interfering.”
“However, where but moderate distension of the sheath exists, there is little, if any, bulging on the mesial side of the hock and but a small hemispherical enlargement is presented on the outer side of the tarsus, anterior to the summit of the os calcis.”
“This makes for greater strain upon the mesial or lateral tarsal ligaments whenever the foot bears upon a sloping ground surface, so that one side (inner or outer) is higher or lower than the other.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mesial’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
words looked up recently from reading Guy Davenport
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Well everyone's lists are favourites or pets or useful terms, no? These are mine.
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
because the website is just that awesome.
list of words I use, like, et cetera.
Looking for tweets for mesial.