American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A volcanic rock containing many amygdules.
- adj. Shaped like an almond.
- adj. Anatomy Of or relating to the amygdala.
- adj. Resembling a volcanic rock that contains many amygdules.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or resembling amygdaloid.
- Pertaining to the amygdalæ; tonsilar.
- n. The name given by geologists to igneous rocks or lavas of various composition, of which the most obvious external feature is that they have an amygdaloidal structure. (See amygdaloidal.) The basalts are the rocks which are most liable to be found possessing an amygdaloidal structure, and especially those older basalts frequently called
melaphyr. Also called mandlestone.
- adj. Shaped like an almond.
- n. A variety of trap or basaltic rock, containing small cavities, occupied, wholly or in part, by nodules or geodes of different minerals, especially agates, quartz, calcite, and the zeolites. When the imbedded minerals are detached or removed by decomposition, it is porous, like lava.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Min.) A variety of trap or basaltic rock, containing small cavities, occupied, wholly or in part, by nodules or geodes of different minerals, esp. agates, quartz, calcite, and the zeolites. When the imbedded minerals are detached or removed by decomposition, it is porous, like lava.
- adj. Almond-shaped.
- adj. Pertaining to, or having the nature of, the rock amygdaloid.
- n. volcanic rock in which rounded cavities formed by expanding gas have subsequently become filled with mineral deposits
- adj. shaped like an almond
- From Ancient Greek ἀμυγδάλη (amugdalē, "almond") + -oid. (Wiktionary)
- Latin amygdala, almond; see amygdala + -oid. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The binding of [(125)I]RTI 55 to DA transporter was significantly lower in the basal and central amygdaloid nuclei, whereas the binding of [(125)I]epidepride to D2/D3 receptors was significantly higher in the basal, central, and lateral amygdaloid nuclei in major depression compared with control subjects.”
“The specific binding of [(125)I]RTI 55 to the DA transporter, [(3)H]SCH 23390 to the D1 receptor and [(125)I]epidepride to D2/D3 receptors were measured in the right amygdaloid complex in postmortem brains from 11 subjects with major depression and 11 matched control subjects.”
“This amygdaloid with analami and mesotype contains crystals, which the water gradually dissolves, leaving the rock with a worm-eaten appearance.”
“We spent forty-two and a half hours, paddling at the rate of five miles an hour, in coming from Linyanti to the confluence; there we found a dike of amygdaloid lying across the Leeambye.”
“The gray matter of the caudate nucleus bends upon itself, and its other end is the amygdaloid nucleus ( "almond-shaped," again because of its shape).”
“She listens as to a fairy tale, and then I tell her of the stellar crystals concealed in the rough crust of the amygdaloid.”
“A nodule of amygdaloid, a coarse pebble enveloped in a whitish semi-crystalline paste, lies on the table before me.”
“Florida levels, still lingers; and presently, amid bits of syenite, volcanic tuff and scoria, she has found this nodule of amygdaloid.”
“Like the chlorastrolites, they result from the weathering of the amygdaloid rock, in which they occur as small nodules, and in the same manner are sold by jewelers in the cities bordering on Lake”
“TETZONTLI, porous amygdaloid lava, a stone much used for building in”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘amygdaloid’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
words taking the suffix -oid. because i wanted to use the word zomboid as in "having the likeness of a zombie". and yes, flavenoids is adopted. we'll tell her when she's older...
Looking for tweets for amygdaloid.