from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or quality of being instrumental.
- n. A means; an agency.
- n. A subsidiary branch, as of a government, by means of which functions or policies are carried out.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality or condition of being instrumental; serving a purpose, being useful.
- n. (law) A governmental organ with a specific purpose.
- n. Something that is instrumental; an instrument
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or condition of being instrumental; that which is instrumental; anything used as a means; medium; agency.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being instrumental; subordinate or auxiliary agency; agency of anything as means to an end.
- n. An instrumental means or agency; something serving as an instrument; as, preaching is the great instrumentality in the spread of religion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a subsidiary organ of government created for a special purpose
- n. an artifact (or system of artifacts) that is instrumental in accomplishing some end
- n. the quality of being instrumental for some purpose
From instrumental + -ity. (Wiktionary)