from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of turning or applying to a person or thing for aid or security: have recourse to the courts.
- n. One that is turned or applied to for aid or security: His only recourse was the police.
- n. Law The right to demand payment from the endorser of a commercial paper when the first party liable fails to pay.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of seeking assistance or advice.
- v. To return; to recur.
- v. To have recourse; to resort.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A coursing back, or coursing again, along the line of a previous coursing; renewed course; return; retreat; recurence.
- n. Recurrence in difficulty, perplexity, need, or the like; access or application for aid; resort.
- n. Access; admittance.
- intransitive v. To return; to recur.
- intransitive v. To have recourse; to resort.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To return; recur.
- To have recourse.
- n. Resort for help or protection, as when in difficulty or perplexity.
- n. Resort; customary visitation or communication.
- n. Access; admittance.
- n. Return; new attack; recurrence.
- n. Repeated course; frequent flowing.
- n. In Scots law, the right of an assignee or disponee under the warrandice of the transaction to recur on the vendor or cedent for relief in case of eviction or of defects inferring warrandice.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something or someone turned to for assistance or security
- n. act of turning to for assistance
Is there either logic or morality in believing that if one side threatens to kill tens of millions of our people, our only recourse is to threaten killing tens of millions of theirs?
Seems their only recourse is an attempt to belittle and it just does not work.
Our only recourse is to set the same "trigger" to vote him out along with all the other politicians who are only working for the lobbyists and not the people they serve.
One recourse is to work for the election of representatives at all levels of government who know and follow The Constitution and Bill of Rights.
Most of all, I hope this does not distract from the issue I was asked about -- the desperate, tragic decision by some young people who feel that their only recourse is to take their own lives because they are being bullied or harassed because they are gay, or because others believe they are gay.
The recourse is that the House of Representatives should not count votes from the Electors that are for ineligible candidates for the Presidency.
Non-recourse is the effective termination clause of the contract.
P.S. By "us" I mean individuals or small groups who are adversely affected by policies and whose recourse is extremely limited.
When you are too incompetent or self absorbed to actually do something for REAL, the only recourse is to make a video game out of it in NextLife, create a Facebook page to let everyone know what a genius/player you are and then tell each other how amazing you are by Twitter and Blogs.
Since you are incapable of holding up your end I am afraid my only recourse is to laugh at you.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.