American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act of assisting.
- n. Aid; help: financial assistance.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A being present; presence; attendance.
- n. The persons present; spectators; audience.
- n. Help; aid; furtherance; succor; a contribution in aid, by bodily strength or other means.
- n. An assistant or helper; assistants collectively.
- n. Hence, specifically In English common law and American colonial law, a general name for a somewhat undefined body of subordinate parish or town officers or auxiliaries, apparently including, as sometimes used, the ex-officers, in their customary function of advisers.
- n. In American history, a writ issued by a superior colonial court, on alleged precedents of the English Court of Exchequer, authorizing any officers of the crown, in the process of executing the acts of trade, to summon assistance and enter and search any premises. The attempt to use such writs in Massachusetts, defeated in 1761, was one of the abuses which led. to the revolution. Synonyms Aid, support, backing, relief.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of assisting; help; aid; furtherance; succor; support.
- n. obsolete An assistant or helper; a body of helpers.
- n. Obs. or a Gallicism Persons present.
- n. a resource
- n. the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
- Middle French assistance, from Medieval Latin assistentia, from Latin assisto. (Wiktionary)
“ Financial assistance - offshore companies are usually not prohibited from providing \ "financial assistance\" for the acquisition of their own shares, which avoids the needs for \ "whitewash\" procedure in certain financial transactions.”
“Financial assistance - offshore companies are usually not prohibited from providing \ "financial assistance\" for the acquisition of their own shares, which avoids the needs for \ "whitewash\" procedure in certain financial transactions.”
“In Austria, for example, a family that wants to build a Passive House can get €35,000 in assistance from the Austrian government.”
“It embodies the aim to bring together short term assistance with long term development.”
“BRAUN: Well, you know, in Hollywood, people have what they call assistance, as well as bodyguards.”
“This assistance is available not only for workers in the humanities and social sciences, but also for workers in the arts.”
“The prayer of my inmost heart for this assistance is the only light that shines upon my fears.”
“Then we can have somone who actually screens the welfare systems so the people who need the SHORT TERM assistance gets it and not the illegal $ makers who have no taxable income.”
“Washington County pays $203,040 and Clackamas County pays $25,000 in "assistance" each month”
“That kind of assistance is still allowed under the law without invoking the waiver.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘assistance’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
Use these and get promoted
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
Words with definitions that have a "hence" in them.
The 100 most frequent constituents of EU collocations. People working for the EU are able to complete any of these words to a multiple-word expression with ease. Try it out if you are one! For a gr...
Words associated with insurance cover - Created with the help of employees from Aegon insurance
(Given Saturday, March 4, 1865, Washington, D.C.)
At this second appearing to take the oath of the Presidential office there is less occasion for an extended a...
with all nations, among ourselves, a just and lastin..., cherish, achieve, to do all, for his widow and..., to care for him w..., to bind up the na..., let us strive on ..., with firmness in ..., with charity for all and 169 more...
Very basic words for ESL students.
This is a list of academic words for students learning English as a Second or Foreign Language. It includes 570 word families that often appear in academic texts. It does not include words that are...
Boston: Re-Printed and Sold at J. Draper's Printing-Office in Newbury-Street. (Price Sixteen Pence single.)
See the companion list, A LIST of the Men of War the French have left," 174...
2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee Round 2
Looking for tweets for assistance.