from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The action of intervening; interfering in some course of events.
- n. A legal motion through which a person or entity who has not been named as a party to a case seeks to have the court order that they be made a party.
- n. An orchestrated attempt to convince somebody to seek professional help with an addiction or other psychological problem.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of intervening; interposition.
- n. Any interference that may affect the interests of others; especially, of one or more states with the affairs of another; -- the intervention of one state in the affairs of another is typically unwelcome by the state being intervened in, but some cases of mediation between states may be called intervention. Opposed to
- n. The act by which a third person, to protect his own interest, interposes and becomes a party to a suit pending between other parties.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or state of intervening; a coming between; interposition; mediatorial interference: as, light is interrupted by the intervention of an opaque body; the intervention of one state in the affairs of another.
- n. In law, the act by which a third person interposes and becomes a party to a suit pending between other parties.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act or fact of interposing one thing between or among others
- n. a policy of intervening in the affairs of other countries
- n. care provided to improve a situation (especially medical procedures or applications that are intended to relieve illness or injury)
- n. (law) a proceeding that permits a person to enter into a lawsuit already in progress; admission of person not an original party to the suit so that person can protect some right or interest that is allegedly affected by the proceedings
- n. the act of intervening (as to mediate a dispute, etc.)
Sorry, no etymologies found.