from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A prepared position, such as a mounting or silo, for a military weapon.
- n. The act of putting into a certain position; placement.
- n. Position; location.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An installation that houses a military weapon.
- n. A place where a thing is located; the act of placing something somewhere.
- n. The inclusion of igneous rock in older rocks, or the development or localization of an ore body in older rocks. The latter is referred to as ore deposition.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A putting in, or assigning to, a definite place; localization.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A placing or fixing in place; location.
- n. Place or site.
- n. The platform or bed prepared for a gun and its carriage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of putting something in a certain place
- n. military installation consisting of a prepared position for siting a weapon
French, from obsolete emplacer, to place in position : en-, in; see en-1 + Old French place, open space; see place.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French emplacement, from en- + placement (Wiktionary)