Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of debasing, or the state of being debased. Impairment of purity, fineness, or value; adulteration.
- n. The act of debasing or the state of being debased; a lowering, especially in character or quality.
- n. The lowering of the value of a currency by reducing the amount of valuable metal in the coins.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of debasing or the state of being debased.
- n. being mixed with extraneous material; the product of adulterating
- n. changing to a lower state (a less respected state)
- debase + -ment (Wiktionary)
“When the name of Gail Wynand became a threat in the publishing world, a group of newspaper owners took him aside -- at a city charity affair which all had to attend -- and reproached him for what they called his debasement of the public taste.”
“Currency debasement is a theme unlikely to go away any time soon.”
“So far there has been precious little questioning of this long-term debasement of the world's biggest currency.”
“The holy humble temper of a Christian, both in advancement and debasement, is described: and both poor and rich are directed on what grounds to build their joy and comfort, v. 9-11.”
“Jean Valjean, the reformed criminal, discovers her, is made aware that her debasement is the result of the act of his foreman, and takes her, half dead with misery and sickness, to his own house.”
“Against currency debasement, which is the practice of lowering the value of the currency at the expense of citizens, the best protection remains the precious metals.”
“A doubling of prices in three decades called a debasement of the currency?”
“Funny money is a funny thing, the more you expand the supply of it - the more its purchasing power lessens: it is known as the debasement of the currency - it loses value.”
“His main theme is that the Asian growth economies are going to take over, which is a fairly conventional view, but he puts a hard edge on it, and he believes the US and the UK are in major, major trouble, in our case because of the coming "debasement" of the dollar.”
“That kind of debasement goes hand in hand with their capitioulation to the Islamist threat.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘debasement’.
Vocabulary from The Fountainhead.
Looking for tweets for debasement.