from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Evil fame or reputation.
- n. The condition of being infamous.
- n. An evil or criminal act that is publicly known.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being infamous.
- n. A reputation as being evil.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Total loss of reputation; public disgrace; dishonor; ignominy; indignity.
- n. A quality which exposes to disgrace; extreme baseness or vileness.
- n. That loss of character, or public disgrace, which a convict incurs, and by which he is at common law rendered incompetent as a witness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Evil fame; public reproach or disgrace; scandalous repute.
- n. Infamous character; disgracefulness; scandalousness; extreme baseness or vileness: as, the infamy of an action.
- n. In law, the public disgrace or loss of character incurred by conviction of an infamous offense. See infamous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. evil fame or public reputation
- n. a state of extreme dishonor
These kids were about 9 or 10 years old on September 11, 2001, the morning that “will live in infamy” for those who came of age in the 21st century.
The spectacular mistiming of his own 2001 memoir, Fugitive Days, doomed the book to short-term infamy and long-term obscurity.
It came two days after Independence Day, a date held in infamy in one of the angrier books and movies about Vietnam, Ron Kovic's "Born on the Fourth of July."
That name will live in infamy for as long as the US continues to exist; the most unintelligible moron to ever foul the Oval Office, as well as the worst president in US history.
This quote from former Sci-Fi Channel co-founder, Tim Brooks, will live forever in infamy, as he fails in epic fashion to justify the new name for the Syphilis Channel.
November 4, 2008 is a day that will go down in infamy as the day the American people, unbeknownst to them, elected the FIRST MARXIST SOCIALIST government in the history of the United States
The 99 Republicans who voted aye should know that Herbert Hoover's name lives in infamy for erecting them.
On other fronts, condemning the 3L student for trusting her supposed friends not to subject her to web infamy is cynicism gone toxic.
A disgraceful man and a decade that will live in infamy ran
You miss your window of opportunity and the chance to have your name live on in infamy, forever associated with cheesy art.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.