from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of banishing.
- n. The state of being banished, exile.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of banishing, or the state of being banished.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of banishing or compelling a citizen to leave his country or place of residence by political or judicial authority.
- n. The state of being banished; enforced absence; expulsion; exile, in either a legal or a general sense: as, banishment from thy presence is worse than death.
- n. The act of driving away or dispelling: as, the banishment of care from the mind.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. rejection by means of an act of banishing or proscribing someone
- n. the state of being banished or ostracized (excluded from society by general consent)
Nothing this jerk can do will ever convince me that he deserves anything more than banishment from the PGR and it's functions.
Third offense calls for banishment from the island forever.
- Eventually he learns that human lives have value too, same as his race and when the time of banishment is over.
It took Ali's 43-month banishment from the ring – as the body bags continued to be flown home from Asia – for the popular sentiment to change, particularly among the young.
NEW YORK (AP) - Sean Avery has shed nerves and any inhibitions that might have crept into his game during his banishment from the NHL.
Sean Avery's banishment from the Dallas Stars and perhaps the NHL is just the latest entry in the league's bad boy ledger.
His banishment from the Stars indicates that the team is united in its decision not to take Avery back.
"I don't think he had the backing of the commissioner like I did," said John Dowd, whose investigation into Pete Rose's betting as Cincinnati Reds manager led to the hall of famer's banishment from the game.
Yes, persistent violators of the social trust can be banished from Wikipedia, but the threat of banishment is not what keeps good contributors contributing well.
The banishment is part of the NFL's quest for new revenue.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.