American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A negative vote, especially one that blocks the admission of an applicant to an organization.
- n. A small black ball used as a negative ballot.
- v. To vote against, especially to veto the admission of.
- v. To shut out from social or commercial participation; ostracize or boycott.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A blacking composition used by shoemakers, etc. Also called heel-ball.
- n. A name applied to both the smut and the bunt of wheat.
- n. An adverse vote. See blackball, v. t.
- To reject (as a candidate for election to membership or office in any club, society, etc.) by placing black balls in the ballot-box; exclude or defeat by adverse vote; also, simply to vote against. See ballot, n., 3.
- n. Same as black ash.
- n. a rejection, a vote against admitting someone
- n. a black ball used to indicate such a negative vote
- n. the act of so rejecting someone
- n. A kind of large black sweet; niggerball
- v. transitive to vote against, especially in an exclusive organization
- v. transitive to ostracize
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A composition for blacking shoes, boots, etc.; also, one for taking impressions of engraved work.
- n. A ball of black color, esp. one used as a negative in voting; -- in this sense usually two words.
- v. To vote against, by putting a black ball into a ballot box; to reject or exclude, as by voting against with black balls; to ostracize.
- v. To blacken (leather, shoes, etc.) with blacking.
- n. the act of excluding someone by a negative vote or veto
- v. expel from a community or group
- v. vote against; refuse to endorse; refuse to assent
“The lucrative 1946 tour was especially welcomed by the chronically underpaid "blackball" players.”
“Additionally, the defendants acted to 'blackball' and banish plaintiff and anyone associated with plaintiff permanently from ExxonMobil facilities and premises without limitation.”
“But in fact, what he really should be concerned about is not "blackball," but rather "blackmail.”
“President Obama has been making great pains to try to change our image before the world, one that he believes George W. Bush perpetuated and that has led to our virtual "blackball" by many nations.”
“The attorneys claim that Villalobos and others conspired to "blackball" and "black-list" them and that he instructed assistant DAs and staff that neither probation nor plea bargains are to be made available to the clients of these defense attorneys.”
“Las Vegas resorts Wynn and Encore has decided to 'blackball' Hilton, which, in short, means to ban her from their venue.”
“Didn't this really amount to something like a "blackball" by DeMint, who kept Southers 'nomination from being voted up or down by the Senate, with the announced reason for his opposition to Southers being conerns about the prospects of unionization at TSA and the impact it might have on security, not the "privacy" issue?”
“His fear is that now the Stelmach dictatorship will "blackball" his riding.”
“News: Chris Brown tweeted that retailers were trying to "blackball" Graffiti, but his new album managed to just barely pass the 100K mark, selling 102,000”
“Did the Bears "blackball" Cedric Benson before signing with the Bengals?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘blackball’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Tolkien worked in the black section
of the dictionary at one point in his life
List title totally stolen from she. Right, the stock entry for this list should be a two-word phrase where one of the words denotes a colour; even better if the expression has some metaphoric value...
caramel gets 48 hits
chocolate gets 112 hits
nonpareil 83 hits
Words where 'black' has a negative connotation.
The awareness of this has been more publically discussed since the 60's, however with the 2008 presidental race, I am curious if any of ...
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
just the next words that come along
Intra-Group dynamics, psychology of/within, and heard mentality.
Looking for tweets for blackball.