from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Anger aroused by something unjust, mean, or unworthy. See Synonyms at anger.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An anger aroused by something perceived as an indignity, notably an offense or injustice.
- n. A self-righteous anger or disgust.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The feeling excited by that which is unworthy, base, or disgraceful; anger mingled with contempt, disgust, or abhorrence.
- n. The effect of anger; punishment.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Anger, especially anger excited by that which is unjust, ungrateful, or base; anger mingled with contempt or abhorrence; scornful displeasure.
- n. Effect of indignant feeling; anger expressed or manifested in judgment, punishment, or violence.
- n. Synonyms Vexation, Indignation, etc. See anger.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a feeling of righteous anger
Dryden could not now repress those emotions, which he called indignation, and others jealousy; but wrote upon the play and the dedication such criticism as malignant impatience could pour out in haste.
Dryden could not now reprefs thefe emoti - ons, which he called indignation, an as he profefTes, to give this antagonift an opportunity of re - prifal, he has added his own verfion of the hrft and fourth Paftorals, and the firft Geor - gick.
But the faux righteous indignation from the right would be laughable if it weren't all together repulsive.
Entirely justified moral indignation is appropriate, but we're Canadians, so let's do our best to be polite.
Righteous indignation is only annoying when it comes without the “right” part.
Nigh on two years ago I first wrote, in indignation, of the wretched state of affairs concerning MPs expenses.
When I raised that point last week, the GOP Noise Machine erupted in indignation, claiming Media Matters was trying to silence Liasson and was "targeting" her.
Moral indignation is one of the most powerful human instincts.
Righteous indignation is a horrible thing to waste.
People like this should resign as their indignation is only outshined by their arrogance.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.