from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of exploding.
- n. An explosion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An explosion or sudden report made by the near-instantaneous decomposition or combustion of unstable substances as, the detonation of gun cotton. Specifically, combustion that spreads supersonically via shock compression.
- n. Engine knocking, an improper combustion in internal combustion engines
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An explosion or sudden report made by the instantaneous decomposition or combustion of unstable substances.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An explosion or sudden report made by heating or striking certain combustible bodies, as fulminating gold; explosion in mass.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of detonating an explosive
- n. a violent release of energy caused by a chemical or nuclear reaction
From French détonation. (Wiktionary)