American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A discharge from a number of firearms, fired simultaneously or in rapid succession.
- n. A rapid outburst or barrage: a fusillade of insults.
- v. To attack with a fusillade.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A simultaneous or continuous discharge of musketry: sometimes used figuratively.
- To attack or shoot down by a fusillade.
- n. the simultaneous firing of a number of firearms
- n. by extension a rapid outburst
- v. to fire, or attack with, a fusillade
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mil.) A simultaneous discharge of firearms.
- v. To shoot down of shoot at by a simultaneous discharge of firearms.
- v. attack with fusillade
- n. rapid simultaneous discharge of firearms
- French, from fusiller, to shoot, from fusil, firearm; see fusil. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Then, from lower down to the right, there came a fusillade from the English lines suddenly breaking out, and after a few minutes as suddenly stopping again.”
“But the only casualty of the fusillade was a little white goat who happened to be standing idly by, just in the wrong spot.”
“In their body language and their rulings, the justices often make it clear that they are happier when the target of their fusillade is a familiar face.”
“The last words of the speaker were nearly drowned in a heavy fusillade which issued from the woods close by.”
“The fusillade of 7.62mm rounds chewed the three jihadis to pieces.”
“All it took was one open-ended question about Android to unleash a fusillade of anti-Google invective.”
“PARIS— Boeing Co. continues to study the future of its best-selling, 737 single-aisle airplane as European rival Airbus prepares to announce at this week's Paris Air Show a fusillade of orders for a revamped version of its competing A320 jet.”
“Pakistani Gen. Ashfaq Pervez Kayani, the Army chief of staff, prefers the training to the fusillade of missile strikes in the tribal areas from pilotless U.S. drones.”
“To his amazement, the target opens his eyes after the fusillade and discovers he is still alive.”
“A pistol cracked from the shoal, a second, and a third; then a regular fusillade began.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fusillade’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Trinkets of lexical goodness.
Words used quite often in steampunk
Descriptive interjections, intensifiers,sounds, smells and hullabaloo. Fanfare at its finest.
I enjoy collecting words, for I have no fear of them ever running out.
Words I come across while reading.
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Looking for tweets for fusillade.