Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of one who shoots. The act or practice of discharging missile weapons.
- n. Especially, at the present day, the killing of game with firearms; gunning.
- n. A right, purchased or conferred, to kill game with firearms, especially within certain limits.
- n. A district or defined tract of ground over which game is shot.
- n. A quick dart; a sudden and swift motion.
- n. A quick, glancing pain, often following the track of a nerve.
- n. In carpentry, the operation of planing the edge of a board straight. Synonyms , Hunting, etc. See
- v. present participle of shoot.
- n. countable An instance of shooting (a person) with a gun.
- n. uncountable The sport or activity of firing a gun.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of one who, or that which, shoots
- n. A wounding or killing with a firearm; specifically (Sporting), the killing of game.
- n. A sensation of darting pain.
- adj. Of or pertaining to shooting; for shooting; darting.
- n. killing someone by gunfire
- n. the act of firing a projectile
“When you're shooting sports action or wildlife - or simply trying to keep up with fast-moving children - the 10 frames-per-second high speed with mechanical shutter continuous shooting* and new tracking auto focus feature will ensure you never miss that vital moment.”
“While shooting sports action or wildlife, or simply trying to keep up with fast-moving children, the FinePix HS10 will give users an edge with up to 10 frames-per-second of high speed continuous shooting* at the maximum 10-MegaPixel setting.”
“When you're shooting sports action or wildlife - or simply trying to keep up with kids - the 10 frames-per-second high speed continuous shooting* and new tracking autofocus feature will ensure you never miss that vital moment.”
“• "Men, unlike women, have few positive ways of defining themselves outside of the workplace between when they leave school and when they retire," •*maybe thats why men die sooner, once they jobs are done, they lack purpose •*Men think of themselves as providers •*Women look at you differently when you dont have much money.www. redorbit.com South AL gunman kills 12 people during a shooting spree •Michael McLendon of Kinston, AL •shooting spree covered two counties”
“Sorry, your anon comment didn’t know that your drive-by shootings were by request … that use of ’shooting’ in the header implied (or one inferred, actually) that you drop by in random shooting sprees, much to our edutainment.”
“The term shooting fish in a barrel sprang to mind.”
“To spare her feelings, he avoided the word shooting this time.”
“I understand that having an interest in shooting is actively discouraged.”
“I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the odd labeling decision to have a person on the label shooting a gun at the customer.”
“And the Davidians stuck to their claim that ATF came in shooting, which is not likely to encourage trust in anyone.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘shooting’.
hit, Iran-Iraq War, prevention, increase of readi..., replacement of wa..., rise of readiness, stabilisation, build up, basic training, defence procurement, force modernisation, full mobilisation and 387 more...
Very basic words for ESL students.
Interesting words that came to me in spam emails in the "From" field. Read in pairs by order added, add the initial of your choice, and you'll get a list of "names."
Looking for tweets for shooting.