from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or an instance of unlawfully taking the property of another by the use of violence or intimidation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act or practice of robbing.
- n. The offense of attempting to take the property of another by threat of force.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or practice of robbing; theft.
- n. The crime of robbing. See Rob, v. t., 2.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or practice of robbing; a plundering; a pillaging; a taking away by violence, wrong, or oppression; the act of unjustly and forcibly depriving one of anything; specifically, in law, the felonious and forcible taking of the property of another from his person, or in his presence, against his will, by violence or by putting him in fear (Wharton).
- n. Synonyms Depredation, spoliation, despoilment. See robber.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. plundering during riots or in wartime
- n. larceny by threat of violence
The term robbery will be used for incidents that occur while a ship or yacht is anchored or tied up at a pier.
Anyone recognizing the suspect or with any other information about this robbery is asked to call the Criminal Investigations Section of the Alexandria Police Department at (703) 838-4444 or the Crime Solvers tip line at (703) 838-4858.
Anyone recognizing the suspect or with any other information about this robbery is asked to call the Criminal Investigations Section of the Alexandria Police Department at 703-838-4444 or the Crime Solvers tip line at 703-838-4858.
While piracy looks to be the main motivation for the hijacking, fans of the Die Hard series are probably already wondering if the robbery is a cover for something even bigger.
PCR: Your description of the older lady and the death following the robbery is all too common.
Whereas in the USA the term robbery is used for theft using force or fear, in Mexico "robo" is simple theft of an object.
Far from being an incentive to progress, copyright and other IP law has become robbery from the public (domain) by a corrupt government on behalf of corrupt corporations.
The off-duty hero cop who thwarted a salon robbery is getting promoted [NBC New York]
An ex-con who played patsy in a bank robbery is hounded by a private investigator who believes he has the cash from the robbery.
At least eight people have been killed in robbery attempts at three jewelry stores in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.