from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice.
- n. Slang Something that is very uncomfortable, difficult, or hazardous: The rush hour traffic is murder.
- n. A flock of crows. See Synonyms at flock1.
- transitive v. To kill (another human) unlawfully.
- transitive v. To kill brutally or inhumanly.
- transitive v. To put an end to; destroy: murdered their chances.
- transitive v. To spoil by ineptness; mutilate: a speech that murdered the English language.
- transitive v. Slang To defeat decisively; trounce.
- intransitive v. To commit murder.
- idiom get away with murder Informal To escape punishment for or detection of an egregiously blameworthy act.
- idiom murder will out Secrets or misdeeds will eventually be disclosed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An act of deliberate killing of another human being.
- n. The crime of deliberate killing.
- n. The commission of any act which abets the commission of a crime the commission of which causes the death of a person.
- n. Something terrible to endure.
- n. A group of crows; the collective noun for crows.
- v. To deliberately kill (a person or persons).
- v. (sports, figuratively, colloquial) To defeat decisively.
- v. To botch or mangle
- v. To kick someone's ass or chew someone out (used to express one’s anger at somebody).
- v. to devour, ravish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The offense of killing a human being with malice prepense or aforethought, express or implied; intentional and unlawful homicide.
- transitive v. To kill with premediated malice; to kill (a human being) willfully, deliberately, and unlawfully. See murder, n.
- transitive v. To destroy; to put an end to.
- transitive v. To mutilate, spoil, or deform, as if with malice or cruelty; to mangle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To kill; slay in or as in battle.
- To kill (a human being) with premeditated malice; kill criminally. See murder, n., 1.
- To kill or slaughter in an inhuman or barbarous manner.
- To destroy; put an end to.
- To abuse or violate grossly; mar by bad execution, pronunciation, representation, etc.: as, to murder the queen's English; the actor murdered the part he had to play.
- Synonyms Slay, Despatch, etc. See kill.
- n. Homicide with malice aforethought; as legally defined, the unlawful killing of a human being, by a person of sound mind, by an act causing death within a year and a day thereafter, with premeditated malice.
- n. Slaughter; destruction.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. unlawful premeditated killing of a human being by a human being
- v. alter so as to make unrecognizable
- v. kill intentionally and with premeditation
I mentioned the engagement as a mere matter of course to somebody, and though I mentioned it confidentially, it started this slander about Malcolm Cromarty and Cicely Farmond conspiring to murder -- to _murder_, Lilian!
Then, when the leading tongues of the guns had flashed out, and human life, even the life of dogs, had yielded to the demand of her cause, the last vestige of her dreaming had been swept away, and she told herself it was murder, _murder at her bidding_!
Peggy Perez-Olivo murder 11 / 18 / 06 Millwood, NY * husband Carlos arrested and charged with her murder*
Stark murder 12 / 09 / 07 Spokane, WA * wife Shellye arrested for his murder*
Washington - Shellye Stark murder trial (murder of her husband, Dale) - delayed Update: Sandra Cantu murder * Melissa Huckaby arrested and charged with her kidnapping and murder*
John Maruschak murder 7 / 16 / 2009 Cleveland, OH * Brothers Alex and Aaron Wulff charged with his murder*
Jesika Kelsey murder 1 / 1 / 2009 Highland Township, MI * Brother, Steven, confesses to her rape and murder*
Danny Platt, arrested for killing his son over child support issues; has allegedly confessed Jesika Kelsey murder 1 / 1 / 2009 Highland Township, MI * Brother, Steven, confesses to her rape and murder*
Psycho For Love: Ask Lawrence Mangerchine what he does for love Jesika Kelsey murder 1 / 1 / 2009 Highland Township, MI * Brother, Steven, confesses to her rape and murder*
Amador Cendejas-Cortes murder 4 / 30 / 2009 Los Angeles, CA * 3 arrested for his murder*
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.