American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To inflict damage, especially disfiguring damage, on.
- v. To impair the soundness, perfection, or integrity of; spoil.
- n. A disfiguring mark; a blemish.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To deface or disfigure; injure by cutting, breaking, abrading, crushing, etc.; impair in form or substance.
- To impair in quality or attributes; affect injuriously; damage the character, value, or appearance of; harm.
- n. A blot; a blemish; an injury.
- n. An abbreviation of March;
- n. of maritime.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Prov. Eng. A small lake. See mere.
- v. To make defective; to do injury to, esp. by cutting off or defacing a part; to impair; to disfigure; to deface.
- v. To spoil; to ruin.
- n. A mark or blemish made by bruising, scratching, or the like; a disfigurement.
- v. make imperfect
- n. a mark or flaw that spoils the appearance of something (especially on a person's body)
- v. destroy or injure severely
- n. the month following February and preceding April
- From Middle English merren, from Old English mierran ("to mar, disturb, confuse; scatter, squander, waste; upset, hinder, obstruct; err"), from Proto-Germanic *marzijanan (“to disturb, hinder”), from Proto-Indo-European *mers- (“to annoy, dristurb, neglect, forget, ignore”). Cognate with Scots mer, mar ("to obstruct, impede, spoil, ruin"), Dutch marren ("to push along, delay, hinder"), German dialectal merren ("to entangle"), Icelandic merja ("to bruise, crush"), Gothic 𐌼𐌰𐍂𐌶𐌾𐌰𐌽 (marzjan, "to annoy, bother, disturb, offend"), Lithuanian miršti ("to forget, lose, become oblivious, die"), Armenian մոռանալ (morranal, "to forget, fail"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English merren, from Old English mierran, merran, to impede. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I couldn't help asking him whether there had been nothing to mar the pleasure of their stay in Altruria, and he answered: "Well, I don't know as you could rightly say _mar; _ it hadn't ought to have.”
“For their mar is a sweet lady – a real feelin 'lady is their mar.”
“The focal point of Leiton's El desierto renace en el mar is a fish painted in earth tones that contains a series of abstract forms within its outline.”
“For instance, she says that her work entitled El desierto renace en el mar is a "visual metaphor," which was inspired by these verses of Cortázar's XVII:”
“There were words to describe the stepmother/father in French: marâtre and paråtre.”
“As the story goes, Jacob sees a beautiful woman named Rachel tending sheep one day, and he goes to ask her father Laban for her hand in marriage.”
“Then Veronica mar was the first show i came across that has all the thing i hope for in a show, wit, a little darkness, spunk, drama, just enough romance, and actually makes you think a little.”
“The momentary hint of a smile touched the second man's lips and vanished, but his dark eyes changed not at all, nor did the faintest hint of expression mar his smooth golden-brown skin.”
“Legorno to Castilla de la mar, which is but 16 milesfrom Naples, and the ready way to Candia, you may lade hoopes, which will cost carolins of Naples 27 and a halfe the thousand, which is ducats two and a halfe of Spaine.”
“Then there came some that told Jehosh'aphat, saying, There cometh a great multitude against thee from beyond the sea on this side Syria; and, behold, they be in Haz'azonta'mar, which is Enge'di.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘mar’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A list of airport codes (three-letter trigrams) used in ticketing and routing airplanes, cargo, luggage and passengers. The twist - these are obscure out of the way places most of us will never ve...
¡La única lista que también incluye flexiónes verbales y pluralizaciones! Ayúdame a encontrarlas todas.
(Por ser una lista para Scrabble, los dígrafos ll, rr, y ch valen como una sola ...
A list of English words that are three letters long.
Destructive verbs that speed up entropy. (Still working on definition of what I want; may add adjectives later.)
Looking for tweets for mar.