American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Used as a modifier before a noun: our accomplishments; our hometown.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining or belonging to us: as, our country; our rights; our troops. Ours is a later possessive form from our, and is used in place of our and a noun, thus standing to our in the same relation as hers to her, yours to your, mine to my: as, the land is ours; your land and ours.
- n. A former spelling of hour.
- n. For words so beginning, see uro-.
- pro. attributive Belonging to us.
- pro. Of, from, or belonging to the nation, region, or language of the speaker.
- pro. Northern England, Scotland used before a person's name to indicate that the person is in one's family, or is a very close friend.
GNU Webster's 1913
- Of or pertaining to us; belonging to us
- From Middle English oure, from Old English ūre, ūser ("our"), from Proto-Germanic *unseraz (“of us, our”), from Proto-Indo-European *no-s-ero- (“our”). Cognate with West Frisian ús ("our"), Low German uns ("our"), Dutch onze ("our"), German unser ("our"), Danish vor ("our"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old English ūre; see nes-2 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“We had a good quarter, delivering income from operations higher than our outlook, said CEO Carol Bartz, our search share has stabilized.”
“But we get most of our mail-order loose teas from Upton Tea Imports, and *our* turnaround on shipping is quick because we happen to be in the same state as they are Massachusetts”
“And that in choosin 'me to guard the great booby he was playin' into our hands, makin 'our task even easier by handin' me on a plate the golden opportunity that every Hungarian patriot has been prayin 'for this ten years past.”
“Mach and I agreed to serve the Adverse Adepts and Contrary Citizens in return for their protection and sanction o 'our liaisons with our chosen fe - males.”
“VIEW FAVORITES yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Poverty keeps growing in the U.S. but the press is almost blind to it'; yahooBuzzArticleSummary = 'our political discourse tends to focus on the middle class and neglect the poor, while our actual tax and spending policies are often directed to the benefit of the wealthy.”
“Clause (1) should certainly state that the SUPPORT needed for our troops is a demand for an immediate removal of 'our troops 'from the chaos that is Iraq.”
“The reality is that we cannot save ourselves by saving only our family or 'our kind. ”
“One former Tamil sympathizer in London has written, 'our liberator became our Pol Pot. ”
“He added that the Sharia was 'our dream come true 'and that it is our constitutional right.”
“Peter Morales to clearly articulate just how he plans to "grow" U*Uism from the "tiny, declining, fringe religion" he acknowledges that it is today in his "stump speech" into "the religion of our time" as per his campaign slogan within *our* time, let's say 25 years at the outside. . .”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘our’.
A list of 3-letter words which cannot be formed by adding a letter to a 2-letter word (see Ken Clark's word lists found at http://www.seattlescrab...
Words to be replaced by a paragraph mark if you are after terms and MWEs.
All words of the poem
by Gerard Nolst Trenité
Dearest creature in creation,
Study English pronunciation.
I will teach you in my verse <...
Positive words and vague promises. THE words and expressions to use when you want to win over the masses or just don't know what to say.
"CAPITAL" stands for the administrative capital...
A list of English words that are three letters long.
Universal quantifiers, totalizing pronouns and superlatives will save us ALL (and NONE)!
See comments on pipsiculture and homosexuality, which have nothing to do with each other except that I read comments on them at around the same time on the same day.
See also the list ...
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 2369 more...
Okay, I admit it. I made a list of words my daughter knew when she was two years old.
Very basic words for ESL students.
A Heidegger Collection - a log of logues
All words and phrases (except the most common articles and prepositions)
For a word frequency analysis see:
air, band, foe, banner, battle, battle's~confusion, beam, blest, blood, blow, bomb, brave and 174 more...
Looking for tweets for our.