from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Roman Mythology A tutelary deity or spirit of an ancient Roman household.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A tutelary deity; a deceased ancestor regarded as a protector of the family. The domestic Lares were the tutelar deities of a house; household gods.
- n. A species of gibbon (Hylobates lar), found in Burmah. Called also white-handed gibbon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Roman antiquity, one of a class of infernal deities whose cult was of primitive origin.
- n. Hence One of the most cherished possessions of a family or household; one of the household gods. Compare Penates, in a like use.
- n. The white-handed gibbon, Hylobates lar. See Hylobates.
- n. plural A group of lepidopterous insects.
- n. A genus of gymnoblastic or tubularian hydroids, type of the family Hydrolaridæ.
- n. Lord: a title prefixed to Etruscan names, properly distinctive of the eldest son, and often mistaken for an integral part of the name. Also Lars.
The bearers lowered T'Lar's litter to the stairs, and the High Priestess stepped off and climbed upward, dragging her white and crimson robes behind her.
Publishing | Ada Price marks the 10th anniversary of AiT/Planet Lar with an interview with publisher Larry Young.
The typeface chosen was LYBinky, tip of the hat to Uncle Lar for pointing me in that direction.
The only clunker was his choice of Lar Lubovitch's "Prelude to a Kiss" 2005 as part of the season's splashy gala-opening program, an inert wrestling match of a duet to a leaden and cloying recording of the title song by Kurt Elling.
• Lar deSouza, LEAST I COULD DO, www. leasticoulddo.com
Ryan and Lar have recently started a new Sunday feature at LICD featuring the childhood antics of their character Rayne Summers.
I emailed Ryan and Lar Friday Morning and they had two strips ready for me by today and even offered to make me more if I needed it.
Naw Paw Hser Mu Lar has spent the past 10 years as a member of the Backpack Health Worker Team, a network of more than 300 mobile health care providers who care for those living in conflict areas in Burma.
Ryan Sohmer and Lar DeSouza create two webcomics, Looking for Group (fantasy comedy/adventure) and Least I Could Do (dating humor).
Lar deSouza, LEAST I COULD DO, www. leasticoulddo.com
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.