American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A young salmon during its first two years of life, when it lives in fresh water.
- n. The young of various other fishes.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A young salmon having dark cross-bars and spots on the sides, not yet ready to go down to the sea; a brandling. A parr becomes, in the next stage of growth, a smolt.
- n. By extension, the young of some other fishes, as the codfish, of corresponding age.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A young salmon in the stage when it has dark transverse bands; -- called also
samlet, skegger, and fingerling.
- n. A young leveret.
- n. Queen of England as the 6th wife of Henry VIII (1512-1548)
- n. a young salmon up to 2 years old
- n. the young of various fishes
- Compare Gaelic and Irish bradan salmon. (Wiktionary)
- Origin unknown. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“ It has lately been proved, beyond doubt, that the parr is a young salmon, not a distinct fish.”
“parr," a small bright-looking fish, four or five inches long, with dark-colored bars across the sides and a row of red spots.”
“October 24th, 2009 at 9: 49 pm übung mein jung mach auch beat box seit 4 jahren lad blad parr videos hoch mit hanni alberto und ich”
“Pate missed a birdie putt but Watkins missed a three-footer for parr and handed Pate his first win since the 1998 CVS Charity Classic.”
“It was a jewel of a trout, more songbird than fish, with white tips to its fins, bold parr marks, and a red lateral line that ran through its eye.”
“Not much scares me in this life but this government terrifys me. on February 13, 2008 at 3: 05 pm | Reply deborah parr”
“Keep up the blog on February 13, 2008 at 8: 21 am | Reply deborah parr seriously someone got called a slag and was reported to the police?”
“Mechanistic effects of a Triazine pesticide on reproductive endocrine function in mature male Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) parr.”
“Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in winter: the season of parr discontent?”
“After reading the article, ads such as this is parr for the course and should be expected.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘parr’.
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
All salmon all the time!
Also see asativium's excellent Salmon I am list.
Names of places, animals, plants, people, etc. found in and around Alaska.
These have some growing up to do.
found in the wild (i.e., not on Wordie!)
because the website is just that awesome.
Looking for tweets for parr.